Friday, June 23, 2017

Raby

For this post, I chose to do hyperlinks.

A lot of the concepts in "A Tangle of Discourses" were extremely familiar, which I guess is kind of the point. I chose hyperlinks to highlight where I have seen these discourses outside of this class (spoiler: it's everywhere). For that reason, I'm going to go through each discourse and link an outside text!

The Storm:
Okay we talked about this video the first day of class, but it drives me crazy (pun only sort of intended). Raby describes the storm as a discourse of teens being hormone-driven, out of control, and wildly unpredictable. Even though this commercial is over the top, I don't remember it being particularly shocking.

Becoming:
This one annoys me the most because the reason this video came to mind is that we watched it in my Psychology class in high school to describe adolescence and define moratorium as a necessary stage. Which, according to Raby, isn't true. Isn't it cool how we just learn whatever?


At Risk:
Did anyone else have Stay on Track at their middle school? Because DARE with police officers wasn't enough to keep us away from drugs, but DARE 2.0, this time with fully uniformed National Guard people, would definitely work.


Social Problem:
Raby talks about this discourse as teens being a threat to the rest of society (which of course they aren't a part of). I was reminded of this song, which was made for a teen audience in response to this discourse, but check out the text at the end of the video.

Pleasurable Consumption:
There's too many serious links for this so instead I'm leaving this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment