Friday, June 23, 2017

Bogad

For this post, I chose to do a reflection.

What's interesting to me is that, as I am reflecting on this text, and specifically the idea of adults thinking they know what youth are like because they once were children themselves,  I am drawn to reflect on my own experiences as a young(er) person...which kind of proves the argument. What I am remembering, though, is being immensely frustrated whenever I was talked down to or expected to act a certain way because of my age. I honestly remember watching the news with my parents, in which they were talking to and about a six year old who was "adorable," and turning to my mom saying something like, "You know, most six year olds don't talk that way. I'm six, but I don't talk like a baby, because six isn't a baby. It's like they don't think we can be smart because we're not grown-ups." This extends into teenage years as well, and honestly I still feel it as I'm turning twenty and watching Baby Boomers try to figure out millennials. This contributes to the discourse of teens as an alien life form, something Bogad challenges and we try to challenge in this course.

gross
Here's a video that relates to the Orenstein reading but shows young people voicing their own opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment